The Drug Policy Alliance (DPA) is the main group within the U.S. selling alternate options to the conflict on medicine. We envision a simply society during which the use and regulation of medicine are grounded in science, compassion, well being, and human rights; during which persons are now not punished for what they put into their very own our bodies; and during which the fears, prejudices, and punitive prohibitions of at this time aren’t any extra.
We have performed a pivotal position in remodeling the nationwide dialog about drug coverage. We heightened conversations on the federal and state degree across the position of race in shaping drug coverage and moved important points – like legalizing hashish, ending mass incarceration, and prioritizing well being and hurt discount responses to the overdose disaster – from the fringes of U.S. politics to the mainstream.
We are bold threat takers and unrelenting advocates with radical imaginations, preventing to vary hearts and minds and construct a world that facilities on justice, communities, and dignity. With greater than 40 employees in New York, California, New Mexico, and Washington, DC, we’ve got an annual working funds of roughly $12 million, 12,000 dues-paying members and 170,000 lively on-line subscribers.
About the Position
The Managing Director, Communications will craft the group’s communications technique, advertising and marketing, public voice and messaging, media relations, model administration, and communications with key stakeholders. Under the Managing Director’s management, the communications division will ignite our base into motion, strengthen our collective capability for social change, and inform the story of our work, our associates, and our imaginative and prescient for the world because it could possibly be.
We are searching for a frontrunner able to tackle the challenges and alternatives of growing a workforce, designing new practices of inner coordination with different departments, and driving modern communications methods that serve daring ambitions for progressive change in a dynamic and fast-paced group that’s house to a various community of organizations and grassroots advocates.
The splendid candidate is a senior degree communications skilled with robust administration abilities and expertise overseeing technique and narrative improvement, with a particular deal with rising a digital method with conventional media relations, and artistic content material improvement.
The Managing Director, Communications will play an lively position on DPA’s senior administration workforce, shaping and driving total strategic route, each throughout the group and in broader society. While the Managing Director, Communications will not be anticipated to be a coverage, advocacy, or organizing skilled themselves, they will need to have a campaign-oriented mindset and a capability to work in shut coordination with coverage, campaigning, and/or organizing professionals with a purpose to combine communications methods to advance our work.
The Managing Director, Communications supplies management and mentorship to a gifted employees of 5 professionals, enabling the division to be an modern, nimble and robust workforce. This place studies to the Executive Director and oversees a $1.2 million communications funds.
Communications Strategy and Narrative Building
- Develop a powerful strategic communications plan designed to advertise DPA’s imaginative and prescient, mission, and values and that features issue-based campaigns, framing DPA’s agenda for a number of and various audiences
- Work in shut collaboration with the group’s government director, coverage specialists and management workforce to unite DPA behind the strategic plan, implementation course of and execution technique
- Hone and form DPA’s organizational voice to determine subject material experience and function a powerful driver of systematic change
- Ensure the use of efficient, well-researched messages all through the group
- Create and oversee DPA’s advertising and marketing and model administration technique, guaranteeing consistency of messages, pictures, and supplies
Digital Advocacy and Capacity Building
- Manage digital communications and make sure that DPA makes use of a cutting-edge method to social media and different rising media channels and applied sciences
- Cultivate and help DPA spokespeople, coaching employees on communications methods, key messages, and use of supplies
- Oversee (and take part in as wanted) proactive, fast response and reactive media relations to maximise publicity in print, broadcast, and digital media channels
- Build an moral storytelling apply that Cultivates key voices to assist carry up campaigns and garner organizational publicity, together with leveraging relationships with influencers and amplifiers
Strategic Leadership and Management
- Act because the strategic communications focus for key program areas and cross departmental coordination
- Coordinate intently with the Executive Director, the Development Director, and different employees to help DPA’s fundraising efforts
- Manage and mentor communications employees and oversee budgets for all DPA communications capabilities
- Contribute to DPA’s total administration by serving on the senior administration workforce
- Maintain robust relationships inside and outdoors of the group that assist advance DPA’s communications work
- Secure and oversee DPA’s illustration at regional, nationwide, and worldwide conferences, symposia, and different occasions
- Stay abreast of evolving tendencies and ways within the communications discipline
Who You Are:
- An skilled (7 – 10+ years) communications, public relations, or public affairs skilled who has labored with an efficient, seen advocacy group or public coverage marketing campaign
- Someone who understands the worth of absolutely built-in communications throughout all channels, on-line and offline
- Committed to DPA’s mission and robust social justice orientation, passionate in regards to the advanced points associated to drug coverage work and understanding of how drug coverage is inextricably intertwined with a bunch of linked points
- An intersectional thinker, with a perspective that features robust political evaluation and understanding of connections throughout actions and organizational apply
- A calculated risk-taker, in a position to create and operationalize modern approaches to communications and advocacy in help of the group’s mission
- Experienced in producing media curiosity in and protection for coverage points and a confirmed monitor file of sustaining relationships with nationwide and native media
- A confirmed chief who has constructed and managed high-performing groups with a deep understanding of what it takes to supply and maintain nice outcomes
Chaloner has partnered with Drug Policy Alliance on a seek for a Managing Director of Communications.
All candidates ought to apply by utilizing the applying type on the Chaloner web site. Chaloner will overview all candidates, and upon qualification might be contracted to find out subsequent steps.