The use of marijuana has lengthy been practiced, even earlier than its legalization. Today, customers can get a managed quantity of the substance at a particular age.
While there are comparable legal guidelines in different states, it’s attention-grabbing to see that Washington DC legalizes the usage of marijuana, provided that it’s the seat of the United States’ governing energy–the White House.
If you’d wish to know DC’s legal guidelines on marijuana possession, learn on!
Washington’s Initiative 71
Due to congressional blocks, it wasn’t till 2013 that somebody may buy marijuana. The following yr in November, its leisure use was authorised via the passing of Initiative 71:
- Under Initiative 71, customers who’re 21 years outdated and above can possess marijuana for private use and cultivation.
- The Legalization of Possession of Minimum Amounts of Marijuana for Personal Use Initiative permits particular people two ounces of marijuana and as much as six private vegetation for rising at house at one time. Only three of the six vegetation are allowed to mature and flower on the identical time.
- As a vacationer, you’ll be able to safely and legally purchase marijuana in DC. There are smoke retailers that promote concentrates and provides. You can get them organized on-line if you wish to be discreet whilst you’re staying within the state. If you need to know the way and the place to purchase marijuana, go to Cloud 9 DC.
- No matter how many individuals reside in a single family, they will solely have 12 vegetation on the most, with solely as much as six flowering vegetation altogether.
- Adults no less than 21 years outdated can share just one ounce of marijuana with one other authorized age individual.
- Marijuana may be given solely as a present and turns into unlawful if it’s purchased in rechange for cash. Likewise, the promoting of marijuana vegetation and flowers are unlawful.
- Smoking instruments or paraphernalia for the consumption, cultivation, and processing of marijuana are allowed.
- Marijuana vegetation can solely be offered on non-public property and by no means in public or on federally-owned land.
At The Workplace
While marijuana is authorized, there’s a regulation that you may solely use it during your day-off. Your employer can terminate you from the corporate in the event you’ve been discovered intoxicated from hashish.
Where Marijuana Can Be Consumed Legally
Marijuana can solely be used at house or wherever away from public view. Hence, marijuana consumption is prohibited within the following areas:
- On the road
- Community parks and nationwide parks
- Restaurants and bars
- Sporting and comparable occasions
- Areas the place smoking is banned
- Federal courthouses
- Military bases
- National monuments
- The National Mall
- A 21-year-old grownup who includes a minor will end in a penalty or superb, or each.
- If the person has been discovered with greater than two ounces of marijuana to make use of, it’s punishable by regulation via incarceration of as much as six months and a superb of USD$1,000. But first-time offenders can stand up to a yr of probation solely.
- Those underneath the suspicion of DUI is legally required to supply the police with urine or blood pattern for testing.
- Drivers should undergo regulation enforcement who put up roadblocks to provoke motorist inspection for driving and not using a license and/or intoxication.
- There’s no written settlement on how a lot marijuana within the system is prohibited, however consumption whereas driving is prohibited and ought to be averted.
Once a suspected intoxicated driver has been stopped, the police can provoke the next:
- Ask questions to check attainable intoxication.
- Will be requested to carry out actions such because the one-leg take a look at, trying down, and look ahead to indicators of swaying or lack of management when holding one foot up. Another take a look at is when the motive force is requested to stroll in a straight line.
- Watch for bodily indicators of substance use reminiscent of dilated pupils, the scent of pot, shivering, and laid-back or relaxed habits.
Failing all assessments can get you arrested and get examined for THC substance in your system. Depending on what number of occasions you bought caught, you may get the next penalties:
- 1st offense – USD$300 superb and 90-day imprisonment
- 2nd offense – USD$1,000-5,000 superb and imprisonment ranging from 5 days as much as a yr, group service of as much as 30 days, and attainable suspension of license as much as 2 years
- third offense – USD$2,000-10,000 superb, imprisonment ranging from 10 days as much as a yr., group service for no less than 2 months, and license suspension as much as 60 days.
The regulation on marijuana for leisure use is murkier and restricted for medical functions. But due to DC’s stance on the use and possession of marijuana, one ought to notice that it’s an unlimited enchancment but managed.
But the acceptance of marijuana doesn’t come and not using a hitch, as taxation on THC-based merchandise is within the works. Still, it seems to be like a small worth to pay for the legalization of hashish. If the capital can enable the general public to make use of marijuana, who’s to say that different states gained’t observe in the event that they haven’t already?