This is Part 5 of Cannabiz Media’s 5-part Guide to SEO for Cannabis Businesses and Cannabis-Related Businesses. Follow the hyperlinks to learn Part 1 – Introduction, Part 2 – On-Site SEO, Part 3 – On-Page SEO, and Part 4 – Off-Site SEO.
So far within the Guide to SEO for Cannabis Businesses and Cannabis-Related Businesses, you’ve discovered about issues you are able to do to enhance your web site’s search engine rankings primarily based on Google’s 200 search ranking factors. Now, it’s time to give attention to SEO errors that you need to keep away from so that you don’t negate your whole exhausting work.
SEO issues can occur in your website, on particular pages, and off-site. Let’s take a more in-depth take a look at a few of the issues you need to all the time keep away from so Google doesn’t penalize your website or ban it from showing in search outcomes solely.
SEO Mistakes to Avoid Based on Google’s 200 Ranking Factors
Google’s algorithm and its human high quality raters are frequently evaluating web sites and net pages to flag content material it deems to be spam and guarantee nobody is gaming the system.
In effort to all the time ship the very best outcomes to each search question, Google has a zero tolerance coverage towards various blackhat SEO techniques that goal to get round its system of catching spammy SEO techniques and penalizing websites that use them.
Following are 20 of the SEO errors you need to keep away from to keep on Google’s good aspect so your website and pages have an opportunity to seem in search outcomes.
- Don’t publish low high quality content material.
- Don’t publish duplicate content material or meta data that has already been printed in your website or one other website.
- Don’t permit HTML errors, damaged hyperlinks, gradual web page load pace, and different technical parts to decrease the standard of your website.
- Don’t hyperlink to spammy websites or get backlinks from them.
- Don’t use sneaky redirects.
- Don’t key phrase stuff or conceal key phrases on pages, and don’t excessively spotlight your key phrases in daring, italics, and so forth.
- Don’t use distracting adverts like pop-ups and full-page interstitials, notably in the event that they’re exhausting to shut.
- Don’t use doorway pages.
- Don’t publish spun content or gibberish content material.
- Don’t show a lot of adverts however little content material above the fold.
- Don’t stuff key phrases into meta tags, meta descriptions, or H1 tags.
- Don’t permit the variety of hyperlinks or forms of hyperlinks coming to your website to look unnatural.
- Don’t get a number of low high quality hyperlinks to your website, notably if the variety of low high quality hyperlinks is a better share than prime quality hyperlinks.
- Don’t get a excessive share of hyperlinks from websites that aren’t associated to yours.
- Don’t get a number of hyperlinks from low-quality listing websites, boards, or weblog feedback.
- Don’t get an unnatural variety of backlinks from websites with the identical IP tackle.
- Don’t get a sudden spike in backlinks.
- Don’t use YMYL (your cash or your life) phrases.
- Don’t take part in extreme hyperlink exchanges that Google might flag as a hyperlink scheme.
- Don’t embody an extreme variety of outbound hyperlinks on a web page that obscure or detract from the primary content material.
While the above SEO errors are important to keep away from being penalized, there are numerous extra errors you need to keep away from so as to enhance your search rankings. In easiest phrases, keep away from doing something that’s the reverse of Google’s 200 rating components.
Top SEO Priorities for Cannabis Businesses and Cannabis-Related Businesses
Once Google penalizes your website (whether or not or not you’re responsible), it’s very troublesome – if not unattainable – to get again on Google’s good aspect. Once your website is penalized, your hashish enterprise or cannabis-related enterprise may lose all search visitors. You don’t need that to occur, so all the time keep away from the SEO errors listed above.
Following are 10 questions to ask your self as you’re employed to keep away from making detrimental SEO errors. If you may reply sure to these questions, then you need to be secure.
- Does your website have a pure hyperlink profile?
- Have you averted publishing duplicate content material anyplace in your website or in your meta data?
- Is your website freed from distracting pop-ups or different adverts that conceal the primary content material?
- Is your major content material seen above the fold with few adverts detracting from it?
- Is your website well-coded with no damaged hyperlinks or HTML errors?
- Is the content material in your website well-written, helpful, and prime quality?
- Have you averted overstuffing key phrases into pages or meta data?
- Have you averted utilizing YMYL phrases?
- Do your whole hyperlinks ship guests to the URL they initially requested?
- Have you averted utilizing too many outbound hyperlinks on a single web page?
Most Google penalties had been put in place to weed out dangerous content material and guarantee searchers get the very best outcomes. Review Google’s Quality Guidelines to ensure you don’t make any penalty-generating errors.
Key Takeaways for Cannabis Brand Websites
It’s essential to perceive that avoiding SEO errors in the present day isn’t sufficient. Google updates its algorithm on a regular basis, so to keep out of hassle, you want to sustain with essentially the most present SEO greatest practices.
Just one mistake may get your website penalized and banned from Google search outcomes solely. For hashish companies and ancillary companies that may’t promote utilizing Google AdWords, Facebook Ads, and different well-liked digital promoting networks, search visitors is vital to generate model consciousness, leads, and gross sales.
Bottom-line, don’t attempt to get round Google. You want to play in Google’s sandbox and observe its guidelines in order for you individuals to give you the chance to discover your web site in Google search outcomes.
That means you shouldn’t look for a fast rise in rankings, as a result of huge jumps usually contain shady practices. Instead, put money into SEO as a long-term technique that when coupled with a powerful content material advertising plan, can ship vital outcomes.
Susan Gunelius, Lead Analyst for Cannabiz Media and creator of Marijuana Licensing Reference Guide: 2017 Edition, can be President & CEO of KeySplash Creative, Inc., a advertising communications firm providing, copywriting, content material advertising, e-mail advertising, social media advertising, and strategic branding companies. She spent the primary half of her 25-year profession directing advertising packages for AT&T and HSBC. Today, her shoppers embody family manufacturers like Citigroup, Cox Communications, Intuit, and extra in addition to small companies world wide. She has been working with shoppers within the hashish business since 2015. Susan has written 11 marketing-related books, together with the extremely well-liked Content Marketing for Dummies, 30-Minute Social Media Marketing, Kick-ass Copywriting in 10 Easy Steps, The Ultimate Guide to Email Marketing, and she is a well-liked advertising and branding keynote speaker. She can be a Certified Career Coach and Founder and Editor in Chief of Women on Business, an award-winning weblog for enterprise girls. Susan holds a B.S. in advertising and an M.B.A in administration and technique.